How can I view the EXIF data of an Instagram Photo?
Do you wish to view the EXIF data for an Instagram image?
But before we dive in, how much do you know about EXIF data?
Let's start with a more straightforward approach and understand what EXIF Information is.
"EXIF" stands for "Exchangeable Image File Format." EXIF is a type of metadata embedded in images taken with digital cameras (so it applies to digital photos as well).
EXIF data records necessary details about digital photographs you take, such as the camera model and shutter speed settings, GPS coordinates, date/time captured, any copyright and licensing information, and more.
This article will discuss how to view the EXIF data of an instagram photo.
To address the elephant in question, unfortunately, Instagram does not directly display EXIF (Exchangeable Image Format) data in posts.
It is essential to be aware that Instagram deletes EXIF data when uploading images onto its platform. Instagram has yet to provide an explanation for its decision.
It is possible that data is lost when digital information is altered during upload. It is possible that this initiative has been designed with various objectives in mind.
It is essential to remember that you cannot extract EXIF data from an image on Instagram.
But if you want to view the EXIF of a picture posted on Instagram, then you'll have to download it from its source and use third-party software that reads EXIF data, such as IrfanView or Adobe Lightroom, exiftool.org, etc.
If you choose to open a digital photo, there are methods for viewing its metadata. Viewing EXIF data depends on the device you are using to view an image.
Below are some of the most popular ways to view EXIF of images. Remember, these strategies apply to any image downloaded from Instagram or another source.
Viewing Exif Of Downloaded Images
Images on PC
If you have a picture on your Windows PC, you can quickly access EXIF data by viewing its EXIF information.
- Locate the photo you'd like to examine closer.
- Right-click on it, then select "properties."
- Clicking this link will open a new window containing all of the metadata associated with your photo (plus additional information not found in metadata).
- You can look up some HTML metadata in the "general" tab, but for more detailed information, click "details."
- Here you'll find tags, comments, ratings and actual data (including copyright info), photo details, and other info.
On PC, this is the primary location for EXIF data storage.
For those using a Mac instead of a PC, the steps to get there differ.
- To open an image, first, right-click it and then click "Open With Preview."
- To view your Inspector information, select "Tools" > click on the icon.
- Your information window will then open automatically. It contains exactly the same data you could look up on a PC.
If you own an iPhone, then using Photos App is essential.
- Select an image you would like to explore.
- You should be able to see several options, with the "i" symbol enclosed within a circle.
- Pressing the 'Info' button will bring up more detailed data.
- By scrolling down, you can explore all the EXIF information associated with a photo.
On an Android device, you can access EXIF data by accessing its EXIF info tab in google photos' gallery.
- Locate the image you would like to view.
- To access this menu, tap "Details."
- At present, Android phones come in various models, and the EXIF data may differ between models. To get up to speed on this information, simply look it up online at your leisure.
Viewing Exif Without Downloading The Images
There are a few third-party apps and websites which enable the extraction of EXIF information from an Instagram image. One such site is Imagemetadatachecker.com
It offers a free tool that enables users to extract EXIF data by uploading their images onto their websites.
To extract EXIF data from an Instagram image using exiftool.org, follow these steps:
- You can open Instagram on either a computer or mobile device and navigate to the image you wish to collect information from.
- Right-click on the image and choose either "Copy image address" (depending on which browser you are using) or "Copy link address."
- To use exiftool.org, open a new tab in your browser and select "Choose File," followed by clicking the "Choose File" button.
- Paste the image's address or URL into the URL field before clicking "Extract," and the website will extract EXIF data from the photo and display it in table format.
To conclude, it is fairly difficult to extract EXIF data of an image posted on IG as the app deletes most of the metadata during upload. On the other hand, some users may opt to delete the EXIF data from their images for security or privacy concerns. There's no guarantee that you can obtain EXIF data for every picture posted on Instagram.